Monday, May 18, 2009

Mayor collecting $1 million for Brownfields

Torrington Mayor Ryan Bingham joined several state and local leaders in Bristol last week to receive grants for environmental protection.

Torrington is slated to receive $1 million in grant money, 60 percent of which will be used as low-interest revolving loans for developers, land owners and property owners. The remaining 40 percent will be used as direct grants that do not have be repaid, Bingham said.

The Environmental Protection Agency is issuing the money with the hope of revitalizing former industrial and commercial sites in several cities from Torrington to Naugatuck to New London.
While the money was announced last week, it will not be available until October, Bingham said.

The mayor said he will join Rose Ponte, economic development director, and his Assistant Stephen Nocera in attending classes on how to administer the grant.



Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home