Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I finally made up my mind

Please allow me to take off my reporter hat for a moment and speak to you as a registered voter in the city of Torrington.

It took me a long time to make up my mind, but when I fill in my bubble today at Vogel-Wetmore School I will cast my vote for Democrat Barack Obama as the next President of the United States.

The reason comes down to a simple one: I find him inspiring. He doesn't necessarily inspire me...yet. But people who really like him and support him say he inspires them. He makes them feel like change is coming. The world is bad but when he takes over the White House, people are certain things will start to turn around. The country needs that right now and because of the hope he instills in many Americans he has earned my vote.

Will he make a good president? I don't know. What I do know is he can't be any worse than what we've got now.

I respect John McCain. The guy is a war hero, filled with loyalty and respect for America. Those are great qualities for a human being to posses. But for me it's not enough. For me that doesn't necessarily translate to a great president.

The pessimist in me thinks America is so messed up that neither candidate will make a huge difference in his four or eight years in office.

Obama is a big step in the right direction though. People believe in him. People believe he is the answer. If people start thinking positive, believing that good things are right around the corner, then maybe things really will turn around.

Like Andy Dufresne from Shawshank says, "Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things."

Please vote today.

Walt Gogolya

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home